Excellent vegetarian soup that is delicious and quick to prepare. It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish! Continue reading “Lentil soup”
Hulled rye soup (Soupe Jo)
Hulled rye soup is a tasty and quick Persian vegetarian soup. Hulled rye is cheap (500 g under SEK 20) and has a long shelf life, which is why it is particularly suitable to have as a staple at home. In addition, it satiates many people! Continue reading “Hulled rye soup (Soupe Jo)”
Summery, quick and tasty cucumber soup – this is my version of Gazpacho Verde. It cannot be easier than this! Continue reading “Cucumber soup”
Persian Turnip soup or (Ashe Shalgham)
Excellent vegetarian/vegan soup that is comforting. This soup is a symphony of fantastic flavors. Continue reading “Persian Turnip soup or (Ashe Shalgham)”
Barley soup (Soupe gandom)
Tasty soup with peeled wheat. It could not be easier and cheaper!
In Iran, we use a lot of barley in cooking, mostly in soups. Here is an example of soup that we make with peeled wheat. It can be made entirely vegetarian. Then exclude the chicken and add vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Feel free to mix in some vegetarian chicken or similar if you want even more nutritious soup.
In Sweden, Willys is the grocery store that is cheapest at 17:90 for a kilo. One kilo goes a long way. The recipe below is enough for six hearty portions, and then you only use 1.5 dl of wheat grains!
Ingredients for 6 portions
|1.5 dl peeled wheat grains||1.5 tsp Salt|
|1.5 liters of water (approx.)||0.5 teaspoon turmeric|
|2 pcs. chicken thighs||0,5 tsp ground cumin|
|1 yellow onion||A bunch of parsley|
|2 carrots||2 pcs. Broth (preferably chicken broth)|
|3 – 4 stalks celery||2 tablespoons squeezed lemon|
|1 teaspoon black pepper||Possibly a little milk or cream towards the end|
- Soak the peeled wheat for at least 6 hours.
- Wash, dry, and dice the vegetables.
- Heat some oil in a large saucepan.
- Pour in the chopped vegetables and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour off the soaking water from the wheat.
- Pour over the wheat, rice grits, herbs, including bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Add the chicken thighs.
- Pour in so much water so that it covers everything.
- Bring to the boil – lower the heat and simmer under the lid for about 2 hours.
- Remove the cover and then simmer for another hour.
- Take out the chicken thighs and clean them from bones and any tendons.
- Return the cleaned chicken parts and well-chopped parsley to the soup.
- Add some milk or cream.
- Let simmer without the lid for about 30 minutes.
- Taste with more spices squeezed lemon, and possibly a little cream or milk.
Serve with some nice and tasty sandwiches.
Super tasty, cheap, and quick to make – what more could you ask for? Continue reading “Zucchini soup”
The biggest sin is to have shrimp and not make soup on the shell! This soup is easy to make, and you can enjoy it fairly immediately – but if you let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours, it will taste even better. Continue reading “Shrimp soup”
Simple and delicious! It is an uncomplicated soup! So good! Continue reading “Ramsons soup”
Ox-tail soup (Soupe Donbaliche)
Delicious and invigorating soup – easy to make. Continue reading “Ox-tail soup (Soupe Donbaliche)”
This is an excellent recipe for goulash soup, so comforting and filling. We eat it in the winter at home, but in Hungary, this soup is considered a summer soup, as they harvest their vegetables. Continue reading “Goulash soup”