Delicious is this Persian bean stew, which is both tasty and filling. I’ve previously blogged about how to cook this stew (Recipe) but then, with beans that have to be soaked the night before and then it’s slow cooking. I’ve cooked this version with pre-cooked beans. It takes less time but is almost as good! If you are not a vegan, you can combine the stew with some good sausages that are fried beforehand and added to the stew at the same time as the cooked beans, or serve it on the side. Consider this recipe as a base – add and subtract 😊
But first, a few words on the road:
- Choose beans with care. You can combine 2 – 3 different kinds of beans. I used about 760 g of pre-cooked beans.
- Rinse the beans thoroughly before adding them to the pot.
- You can add other herbs that you like, e.g., parsley.
- The pot must simmer gently.
- After adding the beans, let the pot simmer for a short while; they should have time to develop some flavor.
- When it comes to lemon juice and ground cumin, you must add a little at a time and taste!
|Ingredients||2 – 3 bay leaves|
|3 carrots||1 tsp basil|
|3 – 4 celery stalks||1 tsp oregano|
|3 cloves of garlic||1 tsp thyme|
|238 g large lima beans||1 tsp salt|
|260 g cannellini beans||¼ tsp pepper|
|260 g kidney beans||1,5 Tbsp ground cumin|
|5 dl water||1 tsp turmeric|
|2 vegetable bullion||2 – 3 Tbsp tomato paste|
- Peel and chop the onion. Next, wash and dice the celery and carrots into small fine pieces.
- Measure out the spices, water, etc.
- Pour some clarified butter or oil into a large saucepan. Let it get hot (at least 130 (C)) before adding the vegetables.
- Fry the vegetables for 10 minutes. Stir now and then.
- After 7 minutes, add 1 teaspoon of oregano, 1 teaspoon of basil, and 1 teaspoon of thyme. Stir. Also, add 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp turmeric. Mix well.1/4 tsp
- After 9 minutes, add 3 pcs. pressed garlic – mix well, then add 2 – 3 tablespoons of tomato puree and fry it until you start to feel the aroma from the garlic, then add 5 dl of water and stir.
- Put in 2 pcs. vegetable bullion and 3 pcs—of bay leaves.
- Let it boil – lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the washed beans after 30 minutes – mix well.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of squeezed lemon and 1.5 tablespoons of ground cumin – mix, taste, and correct the seasoning.
- Let everything simmer for a short while so that the beans have time to get some flavor. Then it’s done.
Serve with a loaf of tasty bread.