Quick-and satisfying Swedish dish to have sometimes.
This recipe is truly the most Swedish of the most Swedish dishes. No one else would think of making a stroganoff of sausages! 😊
When our children lived at home, we ate it more often than now when they all have moved out. Good food that satisfies and is incredibly delicious. It also does not take that long to cook. Good to serve with mashed potatoes, rice or pasta. The sausage does not taste much – the sauce does the trick.
In Iran, they serve fried strips of potatoes for a beef stroganoff – so you can also have it for sausage stroganoff. I have found something called Pommes Pinnes that works excellent; it gives crispness to the dish, which I think is essential.
We make sausage stroganoff with falu sausage, but nothing prevents you from doing it with other types of sausages with a little more flavor or more savory spices. This is a basic recipe which means you can add other things if you want – some use mustard. I do not use it because I use garde limo (ground dried Persian lime) and lemon juice in my stroganoff.
Ingredients for 3 hearty portions
450 grams falu sausage
200 g yellow onion
0.5 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garde limo (ground dried Persian lime)
1.5 dl water
2 dl cream
1 tablespoon squeezed lemon
0.5 tbsp concentrated chicken stock
Accessories: French fries
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Cut the sausage into the desired shape – I always shred, but do not make it too small!
- Measure out water, cream, spices.
- Heat a pan with a bit of ghee or oil. Wait until the pan is really hot before adding the chopped onion.
- Fry the onion for 5 – 7 minutes. Add the sausage after 5 minutes.
- Fry everything together for 5 minutes – stirring occasionally.
- Add the spices and tomato puree, mix well.
- Pour over the water, let it boil, lower the heat and let it simmer until the water has disappeared – it takes about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Pour in the cream, mix well. Lower the heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Taste and correct seasoning. I added 1 tablespoon squeezed lemon and 0.5 tablespoons chicken stock.
Bring to the boil – ready to serve.
Serve with rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes.