Tasty soup with peeled wheat. It could not be easier and cheaper!
In Iran, we use a lot of barley in cooking, mostly in soups. Here is an example of soup that we make with peeled wheat. It can be made entirely vegetarian. Then exclude the chicken and add vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Feel free to mix in some vegetarian chicken or similar if you want even more nutritious soup.
In Sweden, Willys is the grocery store that is cheapest at 17:90 for a kilo. One kilo goes a long way. The recipe below is enough for six hearty portions, and then you only use 1.5 dl of wheat grains!
Ingredients for 6 portions
|1.5 dl peeled wheat grains||1.5 tsp Salt|
|1.5 liters of water (approx.)||0.5 teaspoon turmeric|
|2 pcs. chicken thighs||0,5 tsp ground cumin|
|1 yellow onion||A bunch of parsley|
|2 carrots||2 pcs. Broth (preferably chicken broth)|
|3 – 4 stalks celery||2 tablespoons squeezed lemon|
|1 teaspoon black pepper||Possibly a little milk or cream towards the end|
- Soak the peeled wheat for at least 6 hours.
- Wash, dry, and dice the vegetables.
- Heat some oil in a large saucepan.
- Pour in the chopped vegetables and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour off the soaking water from the wheat.
- Pour over the wheat, rice grits, herbs, including bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Add the chicken thighs.
- Pour in so much water so that it covers everything.
- Bring to the boil – lower the heat and simmer under the lid for about 2 hours.
- Remove the cover and then simmer for another hour.
- Take out the chicken thighs and clean them from bones and any tendons.
- Return the cleaned chicken parts and well-chopped parsley to the soup.
- Add some milk or cream.
- Let simmer without the lid for about 30 minutes.
- Taste with more spices squeezed lemon, and possibly a little cream or milk.
Serve with some nice and tasty sandwiches.