It is elementary to make tomato sauce yourself. It is cheap to buy ready-made tomato sauce, but you do not know what it is you are stuffing into it. So, purchase the tomatoes when it’s the most inexpensive and make your tomato sauce! You can also mix several different varieties of tomatoes or use just one type. This batch gives about 1 liter of tomato sauce.
4.5 kilos of tomatoes
One tablespoon salt
0.5 tablespoons sugar
- Wash and dry the tomatoes.
- Cut it into wedges and place it in a large saucepan.
- Bring to the boil – then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove shells and kernels by using a food grinder or strainer.
- Pour the sauce back into a clean saucepan and bring to the boil again, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, skim off and remove some of the liquid that accumulates on the surface.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon salt and 0.5 tablespoons sugar, stir.
- Put the jars and the lids in a cold oven and set the temperature to 356° (F)degrees. When the oven has reached 356°(F) degrees, leave the jars for another 30 minutes. The easiest way is to put both jars and lids in an oven dish before it is in the oven; it is easier to handle.
- Put a few basil leaves in each jar, pour on the tomato sauce; put the lid on.
Now you have two choices.
- Boil water in a large saucepan. When the water is as hot as the jars, put them in the saucepan and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Let everything cool properly and then put the jars in a saucepan of cold water, bring to a boil and then simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
Let everything cool, and then store the jars in a cool and dark place.