Super tasty and easy to make, what more could you ask for?
In 1965, my family and I visited a newly opened restaurant in Tehran / Iran. I ordered a veal medallion. For once I liked the food 😊. I would love to have it again and tried this recipe, it was successful, and I enjoyed the same flavors as in 1965!
I came across veal and immediately bought 3 kilos! Cut it into different parts, and some are now going to be medallions as I had in 1965. You can count on about 200 grams of meat per person. Do not make the pieces of meat too large – better with smaller medallions.
The wine can be replaced with more broth if desired. As usual, it is about always tasting and correcting the seasoning so that it suits you.
Ingredients for 2 people
4 veal chops (without bones – about 400 grams)
Salt and coarse black pepper
1 dl wheat flour
Butter for frying
1 – 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 dl white wine
1 chicken broth (or veal broth) dissolved in 2 dl water
1 sliced lemon (thin slices)
0.5 – 1 tablespoon squeezed lemon
1 tbsp capers
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
0.5 tbsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp water
- Wash the lemon very thoroughly and slice it thinly. Remove the cores.
- Boil one dl water and dissolve the bouillon cube in it; set it aside.
- Beat the medallions so that they are approximately 0.6 cm thick.
- Salt and pepper the meat on both sides.
- Dip it into the flour and shake off extra flour. Set it aside.
- Heat a frying pan with butter and olive oil, fry the medallions on medium heat – 3 minutes on each side approximately – or until the medallions get a nice golden-brown color.
- Place it on a plate and keep it warm.
- Pour the wine into the pan and scrape off the pan so that you get all the good flavors.
- Reduce the sauce for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and pitted lemon slices, bring to the boil and then simmer for 6 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with water and whisk – pour it into the pan and mix well until the sauce starts to thicken. Add more wine or other liquid if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Add capers.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons butter and stir until the butter has dissolved.
- Taste – correct the seasoning with salt, pepper, and squeezed lemon. Serve immediately.
Serve with mashed potatoes, mashed potatoes, or whatever you like!