It is easier than you think to make your own yogurt! Here is a recipe for homemade yogurt and a wonderful drink (Doogh).
It is said that yogurt or Maast as it is called in Iran has existed since 5000 B.C. Most homes produce their own because of their large consumption on a daily basis.
When we lived in England, I made yogurt with the English milk that was delivered to our door every day. Nowadays, you can make your own yogurt here in Sweden as well, since we now can buy Turkish, Greek, and even Russian yogurt. (See recipe below)
Yogurt is always present at the meals in Persian homes, except when serving different types of pickles – it is not advisable to eat yogurt and pickles at the same time, something I have learned since my childhood. The good qualities of yogurt are indisputable. The yogurt drink “Doogh” is also served in countries like India, Lebanon, Pakistan, etc. – but the taste varies. The Indian “raita” contains sugar, Iranians use salt instead.
There is nothing that extinguishes the thirst as well as DOOGH. Always served with different kinds of kebab. It consists of yogurt and mineral water spiced with mint and salt. The most famous mass-produced doogh in Iran is called Doogh-e Abali. It’s incredibly difficult to achieve the same taste, but I received a recipe from a fellow traveler on a flight I tried today – and was so pleased that it really tastes like my childhood Doogh-e Abali! You can also buy Doogh in various middle eastern stores.
250 grams of yogurt
2 1/2 tablespoon crème fraiche
2 1/2 – 3 tablespoons of squeezed lemon
1 tablespoon salt
1/2-liter mineral water
2 – 3 stems of fresh mint (or dried)
Mix everything with the exception of mineral water and make sure to whip it properly. When it is all well incorporated then you add the mineral water and whip it gently. Chop the mint and mix it in as well. You can also use dried mint.
Pour into a bottle and keep it in the refrigerator. It lasts for several weeks. But in our household, there is no risk that something will remain, I’ll drink it all!
To make your own yogurt
Preparation 15 minutes and an 8 to 10-hour wait!
1-liter Milk (at least 3% fat)
3/4 – 1 dl yogurt
- Heat the milk in a saucepan. When the milk is about 95 – 96 degrees (C), it is time to remove it from the stove.
- Pour the milk into a larger saucepan or pot. I use my iron pot. Wait until the milk has cooled and is about 45 degrees (C).
- Set the oven to 50 degrees (C).
- Pour some of the milk into a bowl, mix well with the yogurt before mixing it with the rest of the warmed milk. Stir, put on lid and place in oven. Switch off the oven and let it rest for 8 to 10 hours. Do not disturb the yogurt in the meantime!
- After the wait, you can take out the yogurt and stir. Transfer the yogurt to a container with a lid and store in the fridge.