Many ingredients – but don’t let it frighten you – it is an easy and very tasty dish!
Cacciatore means (Hunter) in Italian, and the dish itself was created during the Renaissance. From the beginning, rabbit, or other games that the hunters could come across was used.
The herbs in the pot were also something that the hunters could easily pick in nature. But … the casserole did not contain tomatoes initially since Italians started to use this vegetable much later.
The pot is quite popular still today and even has a day in the calendar on 15 October. Cacciatore is a delicious dish that is convenient to make when you have to feed many!
You can certainly use chicken fillets, but I suggest using chicken thighs with both bones and skins, it gives more “robust” taste to the casserole.
|650 grams (1,69 lb.) Chicken thighs||1 Tbsp concentrated chicken fund|
|1 dl /0,5 cup) all-purpose flour||400 grams (14,11 oz) of crushed tomatoes|
|1 tsp salt||tomato puree|
|1/5 of a tsp black pepper||125 – 250 grams (4,40 – 8,80 oz) of mushroom|
|1 tsp dried thyme||70 grams (2,46 oz) of pre-peeled pearl onions|
|1 tsp dried oregano||Different colors of Pepper|
|0.5 tsp dried basil||20 pcs of olives|
|84 grams (2,96 oz) of chopped onion||1 – 2 Tbsp of lemon juice|
|3 garlic cloves (chopped 6 grams)||140 g (4,94 oz) of bacon|
|2 small carrots (peeled 70 grams)||2 pcs of spicy sausage|
|2 dl (6,67 oz) of red wine|
- Mix the flour with one teaspoon salt and 1/5 of tsp black pepper, turn the chicken pieces in the mixture, and set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables, wash and cut the carrots into 0.5 cm (0,20 inches) thick slices, peel and chop the onion – peel and chop the garlic.
- Cut the bacon into 1 cm (0,5 inches) wide strips.
- Fry the bacon and allow it to drain on paper towels.
- Wash and cut peppers in different colors in strips – not too big.
- Fry the onion in a large saucepan for a few minutes (3 min), add the garlic and stir around a bit, now fry the chicken pieces in the pot as well. Fry the chicken on relatively high heat – first with the skin side down and then turn it over and fry it for 3 minutes on the other side. Sprinkle the herbs and remaining salt and pepper on the chicken pieces as you cook them.
- Add the carrots.
- Add the concentrated fund, the wine, and the tomato puree.
- Bring it to a boil – lower the heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. You can prepare all this well in advance.
- Then you can heat it and add peppers, mushrooms, and olives.
Sprinkle the bacon over the casserole just before serving, preferably add a little (1 – 2 Tbsp) of lemon juice, taste, and correct seasoning.
Serve with rice.