The most delicious buns ever! The mystery surrounding this Rimbo bun has always been immense, and the recipe has been a secret for centuries. The inhabitants of Rimbo (Sweden) wanted the formula to be safe, and security measures took place to achieve that. No one wanted the method to land in the wrong hands and sold on Blocket (Swedish buy and sell site), eBay, etc.
The legend (stories) about these delicate buns goes way back. Legend has it that it was a housewife from Tomta in Rimbo who baked the first Rimbo buns. She baked these buns when a newspaper (ICA courier) wanted to write an article about her new kitchen, which sounds believable. There are other stories about the Rimbo Buns as well, namely that when the Russians burned down Norrtälje in 1719 on their way to take Rimbo, which at that time was a significant hub and trading center. The inhabitants of Rimbo went out of their way to bake Rimbo buns, and in this way, they could buy themselves free from the Russians. Rimbo and surroundings were secure from the brutal enemy in the east, and the Rimbo Buns was a given success.
Ingredients (25 buns):
|360 g (12,70 oz) of all-purpose flour||75 g (2,65 oz) of butter||One dl icing sugar|
|6,76 oz (2 dl) cold cream or milk||2 Tbsp sugar||1Tbsp water|
|200 g (7,05 oz) of soft butter||2 tsp vanilla sugar or extract|
|25 g (0,88 oz) of yeast|
|One tablespoon sugar|
- Dough: Dissolve the yeast in the milk.
- Cut the butter in smaller pieces and add them to the liquid. Aim down flour and sugar. Work together into a smooth dough.
- Grind a workbench and roll out the dough into a square, 40×40 cm.
- Cut the dough into squares, 8×8 cm.
- Filling: Stir together butter, sugar, and vanilla sugar.
- Click out the fill in the center of each square.
- Fold the corners of each square towards the center over the filling.
- Place the buns in paper forms on a plate.
- Allow fermenting at room temperature for 2 hours in a cool place for 3-4 hours or in the refrigerator overnight.
- Bake: Set oven to 250 degrees. In a convection oven, it is sufficient at 200 degrees.
- Brush the buns with beaten egg.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 5-8 minutes.
- Glaze: Whisk together icing sugar and water.
- Allow the buns to cool before glazing.