Do you want to experience the aroma from citrus fruit? Then this is for you!
There are a lot of recipes calling for the zest from citrus fruit. I don’t feel safe just rinsing the fruit in warm water – that’s why I’ve developed a method that works very well for me. The citrus fruit gets an entirely different aroma after this treatment
There are a lot of recipes calling for the zest from citrus fruit. I don’t feel safe just rinsing the fruit in warm water – that’s why I’ve developed a method that works very well for me. The citrus fruit gets an entirely different aroma after this treatment. You will suddenly feel the scent of oranges or other citrus fruit throughout the house. Once you have removed the wax, you can expect a shorter shelf life of the fruit.
Yes – I know the process can sound a little awkward! But – you can do this with several fruits, tear the peel, let it dry at room temperature for 1-2 days, and then pulverize it and keep it in jars. You achieve several things with this process, partly that the durability increases by drying the peel and partly that you always have a zest of different citrus fruits handy. In the summer, when the price for lemon is lower, I usually buy several kilos at a time, release the fruit from wax, tear the peel and dry it, then I squeeze juice from the fruit. I freeze the juice in ice cube molds and then move it into regular plastic bags. This way, I always have freshly squeezed lemon juice at home.
Speaking of ice cube molds – I do the same with wine that remains after a dinner party, Super practical indeed.
Water covering the fruit
Two tablespoons bicarbonate
- Put the fruit in a large bowl and pour on lukewarm water to cover the fruit.
- Then pour in vinegar (1 – 2 dl) and two tablespoons bicarbonate. Leave to soak for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the fruit and wash it thoroughly with a brush or sponge.
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan and dip in the fruit for 30 seconds.
- Now scrub the fruit with coarse salt, rinse it a few times after that, and place it again in a large bowl of water to cover the fruit and one dl of vinegar. Then rinse the fruit, dry with a kitchen towel. Now you can use the zest without any problems.