Fantastic classic Swedish sandwich. Excellent to have with coffee or tea, even as lunch or dinner!
Open sandwiches are trendy in Sweden. The most popular ones are one with shrimps, and the other one is with Swedish meatballs, of course. It is effortless but incredibly delicious. Most Swedish households have pickled beetroot at home – so it is easy to make beetroot salad with mayonnaise. I don’t recall seeing it in the USA – so here I will give you a simple recipe for that as well. In most places, they put a whole salad leave on the sandwich – but I prefer to shred the salad before I put it on the bread – it is much easier to eat, in my opinion.
Ingredients for two portions:
Two pieces of Sandwich bread – large and soft ones – toast works okay
20 small meatballs
Thin slices of cucumber and tomatoes
A couple of salad leaves – roman salad or whatever you prefer
6 Pickled beetroots (chopped in small dices)
1 – 2 Sweet Apples (peeled and cut in small dices)
Optional seasoning: horse reddish or pickled capers.
1 dl of Mayonnaise
0,5 dl crème fraiche
Optional seasoning: mustard.
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing, season with salt and pepper, and maybe one Tbsp of mustard (optional).
- Taste and add more sweetness if need be by adding a few drops of honey. It all depends on what you prefer.
- Chop and dice pickled beetroot and apple and mix in with the dressing. Leave it in room temperature to settle for a while.
- I also cut my meatballs in half to make it easier to eat. Cut them or leave it as they are.
- Melt butter in a pan on relatively high heat – Put the bread in and let it soak some butter, then lift it immediately – do not burn.
- Start by putting some green salad on the sandwich bread, then thin slices of cucumber and tomatoes.
- Spoon out beetroot salad on top of the vegetables. Add the cold meatballs on top. Garnish with thin slices of spring onion or parsley.
Ready to serve!