This delicious potato gratin can be prepared well in advance and stored in the fridge until one hour before you want to serve it. It just can’t be more comfortable than this.
The important thing is to decide what kind of potato to use – waxy or, as we say in Swedish, a “flourier” type. I prefer to work with more solid potatoes. Another essential ingredient is the cheese – you can mix different varieties or take regular gratin cheese; it all depends on your taste.
The blend of regular onion and leeks along with the thyme is an incredibly tasty combination – I promise! If you do not have onions, or if you are allergic to onions, it may be a good idea to use a combination of different kinds of cheeses with a lot of flavors, or just use pickled sundried tomatoes in slices in the gratin.
Vary this gratin with mixing in broccoli or cauliflower! Super delicious!
Ingredients for 4 servings
600–800 grams (1,5 lb.) of peeled potato sliced 0.5 cm thick (waxy potato)
1 yellow onion (100 grams) or (3,53 oz)
50 grams or (1,76 oz) of leeks – sliced
2.5 dl (one cup) of whipping cream or just ordinary cream
1.5 dl milk(3,38 oz)
1.5 teaspoon salt
1/5 of a teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 garlic cloves that are pressed (can be excluded)
1 teaspoon concentrated vegetable or chicken broth
1 – 2 (0,8 cup)dl of grated cheese
- Peel and slice the onion finely – set aside.
- Wash and slice the leeks nicely – set aside.
- Peel and slice the potatoes 0.5 cm – 1 cm thick slices – set aside.
- Measure up cream and milk.
- Squeeze the garlic.
- Mix salt, pepper, and dried thyme.
- Mix everything in a large saucepan, bring to a boil and then simmer for 6 – 7 minutes.
- Oil into a baking dish (20 x 20 cm) (8 x 8 inches) and pour in the potato mixture. Cover and keep it in the fridge if you want to serve it later. When you are ready – you simply add the cheese on top – heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (392 Fahrenheit) and 45 – 50 minutes later, you have a creamy, delicious potato gratin!