A wonderful and easy recipe for English muffins, you just mix the dough before you go to bed. The next morning you mix in a few more ingredients, some waiting time for the fermentation – then you have freshly baked bread for breakfast!
A little tip: oil the vessel in which you are measuring the honey – then all the honey will run out without any problems.
Makes 12 – 15 muffins
THE NIGHT BEFORE
1 cup (2,5 dl) proofed sourdough starter
2 tablespoons honey
2 cups (5 dl) milk
4 cups (10 dl) flour
- Mix sourdough, honey, and milk in a mixing bowl until you get a smooth and fine dough.
- Add the flour a little at a time, mixing until the flour is properly incorporated with the milk and the other ingredients.
- Cover with a clean towel and leave it at room temperature for 12-16 hours.
THE NEXT MORNING
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 -2 cup (2,5 dl – 5 dl) flour
2 teaspoons salt (preferably sea salt)
1⁄4 cup (4 tablespoons) semolina for sprinkling.
- Stir the mixture. Sprinkle baking powder and salt over the surface of the dough and work it into the dough.
- Pour 1 cup (2.5 dl) flour on the baking counter and place the dough on top, work in the flour.
- Pour more flour if needed. The dough should remain moist but not stick to your hands. Sometimes more flour may be needed, I have never had to add more flour than 2.5 dl – but it depends mainly on what kind of flour you use.
- Continue kneading the dough for a few more minutes, but do not overwork it! You should achieve a smooth and soft dough.
- Divide the dough into two pieces and roll it to 1.5 cm thick (0,5 inch). Use a cookie cutter or glass that is about 8 cm in diameter and cut out the muffins.
- Place these on a baking sheet sprinkled with semolina, leaving plenty of space between the muffins.
- Sprinkle some semolina over muffins as well.
- Cover and let ferment at room temperature for about an hour.
- Heat a frying pan (on medium to low heat) with a mixture of butter and oil,
- Bake one side for 4-5 minutes, then turn over the muffins and bake the other side for as long.
So incredibly good no matter what you have on the bread!