One of the absolute favorites here at home is curry chicken. I make it a little different from time to time but this particular recipe is both quick and delicious.
Curry is not a spice but a spice mix. It is said to contain everything from 10 – 20 ingredients. The spices are roasted (with some exceptions) and then ground in a spice grinder. But I like the ready to go curry that you can buy at grocery stores here. The one that I use is from Madras (a region in India).
The recipe is taken from Ann Bergenström’s book (Anna’s food) with some modifications.
Ingredients for 4 servings
500 grams of chicken fillets (cut into strips – not too thin and not too thick)
100 grams of peppers in strips
0,5 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Half Medium sized Yellow Onion (finely chopped)
40 grams of butter
1 tbsp curry (depending on the curry you use)
0.5 dl flour (3 tbsp)
4 dl chicken broth
1 dl cream
2 tablespoons mango chutney (you can replace mango chutney with half a ripe apple)
- Peel and chop the onion finely.
- Measure out all the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken fillets into strips (not too thick and not too thin). Set aside
- Wash, cut out the sweet red pepper and cut it into narrow strips. Set aside.
- Melt 40 grams of butter in a thick-bottomed saucepan add to the onion and fry it 5 – 7 minutes or until the onion has softened.
- Add the curry and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir well before pouring 4 dl of broth. You can either use bouillon cubes or ready-made stock. Dissolve the bouillon in water before using.
- Whisk until there are no lumps. Lower the heat and let the sauce simmer until the it starts to thicken.
- Add the mango chutney and the cream. Taste and correct seasoning.
- Fry the chicken strips quickly on high heat for 2 – 3 minutes. It should only change color.
- Add the sweet red pepper – stir and pour the mixture into the sauce. Allow everything to simmer for about 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with Persian cooked rice, some peanuts (on the side) and extra mango chutney.