One of the most popular dishes here at home is Chicken with dill gravy and rice. When our children with families are visiting, I usually ask what they want me to cook and usually it is this dish they ask for.
The advantage of this dish is that you can prepare it in good time and very suitable when you have many guests. It is inspired by Persian cuisine using herbs. For extra taste mix in one or two tablespoons of lemon juice.
Ingredients for 8 – 10 people
1 kg of chicken fillets
A mixture of butter and oil for frying
Salt and pepper
3/4 dl melted butter (about 100 grams)
1,5 dl of flour
2 teaspoons of salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
0,5 tsp white pepper
1/2 dl concentrated chicken stock (Dissolve 1 chicken bouillon in 0,5 dl av warm water)
1.5 dl of dried dill
2 pcs. Fond de Chef or chicken bouillon
150 grams of Philadelphia cheese
Milk and cream (1 liter) You can also use only milk – but the cream gives a soft taste to the gravy.
- Cut the chicken fillets into strips. If you use frozen fillets, you can thaw it a little in micro and then cut it into strips.
- Fry in a little oil mixed with butter just so that the chicken pieces change color, it must not be cooked! (max 1.5 minutes).
- Salt and pepper a little while frying, Put the chicken in a spacious ovenproof dish and store in the fridge.
- Melt the butter in a spacious saucepan, pour over the flour, mix well.
- Pour a little of milk and cream mixture and whisk until there are no lumps.
- When the sauce begins to thicken, you add a little more of milk and cream mixture. Continue in the same way until you finish off all the liquid.
- Add the seasoning and mix well.
- Whisk in concentrated broth or bullion.
- Add the dried dill – mix well, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Finally, whisk in the cheese (can be excluded). We like our gravy to be quite thick – you can of course mix in more milk or cream until the sauce gets the consistency that suits your family or guests.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken pieces and store in the fridge. All this can be done one day in advance.
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees (Celsius), insert the dill chicken into the oven (about 35–40 minutes) or until everything has been thoroughly warmed and it starts to boil.
Cook rice according to the Persian method and serve!