Our kids were coming over for Easter and I wanted to make some Gelato, after making the Gelato I had many egg whites left, I know that you can freeze the egg whites but I came to think of Budapest roll which is a Swedish cake and not Hungarian as one might think. The creator is said to be Ingvar Strid who was a confectioner from Vetlanda, the reason why he called it Budapest roll remains a mystery. The classical Budapest roll is made with hazelnuts and mandarin segments in a can.
But Anna (my daughter-in-law) is allergic to Pome fruits and nuts. I focused on what she actually can eat instead of what she cannot eat, that is how this creation came to life. She can withstand both sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and berries.
My reward: Anna liked the cake very much!
If you want to make the traditional Budapest roll, replace the sunflower seeds and the pumpkin seeds with 200 grams of chopped hazelnuts. Exclude the berries and mix in a jar of mandarin segments in juice (about 300 grams) instead. Don´t forget to strain the fruit first 😊
210 grams of egg whites (about 6 pcs.)
270 grams of powdered sugar (3 dl)
90 grams of wheat flour (1 dl)
125 grams of pumpkin seeds
125 grams of sunflower seeds
3 cup whipped cream
300 grams of diced fresh strawberries
100 – 150 grams of fresh blueberries
100 – 150 grams of fresh raspberries
2 – 3 tablespoons of rose water (can be exchanged for Cointreau)
150 – 200 grams of dark or light chocolate
- Put the oven at 175 degrees (Celsius).
- Dress an oven dish (30 x 35 cm) with parchment paper.
- Wash, clean and dice the strawberries.
- Wash the blueberries and let it drain, dry it lightly with paper towels.
- Mix the strawberry dices and blueberries in a bowl, pour over 0.5 – 1 cup sugar and pour over the rose water or Cointreau. Let it all marinate in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Mix flour and “nuts”, set aside.
- Beat the egg whites and add the sugar a little at a time, until it becomes a solid batter.
- Gently invert the flour and nut mixture.
- Spread the batter in a pan, (or use a piping bag) and bake for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Stack the cake on a new baking sheet paper, remove the top baking sheet paper on which the cake has been baked. Let it cool.
- Whip the cream and spread out over the cold cake.
- Strain the strawberries and blueberries. Spread it over the cake.
- Crumble the raspberries and put it over the other fruits on the cake.
- Roll it as a roll cake.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Heat the chocolate over a water bath, sprinkle over the cake.