When I bought Freekeh I was thinking of making a meat sauce with it. So today I made it for lunch, what a delight! You can, of course, add more seasoning to it like dried herbs, etc. But the basic vegan meat sauce is just fine as it is. Will work very well for moussaka or spaghetti and so on. Just taste as you go and add the things you like. It is slightly more chewy than minced meat
Gives 2 pounds of vegan meat sauce
2,5 dl of Freekeh
5 dl water (for the Freekeh) if using vegetarian bullion or concentrated broth, otherwise just 5 dl of broth.
3/4 of a teaspoon salt (for the Freekeh)
50 – 60 grams of mixed grated carrots, celeriac, parsnips
80 – 100 grams of diced shallot
130 gram of peeled, seeded and diced tomatoes
3 garlic cloves (pressed or diced finely)
1 Fond de chef (concentrated broth) or 5 dl of broth
1,5 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 ml (1/4 of a teaspoon) cinnamon
1/2 a teaspoon of black pepper
Half a tablespoon of either lemon or lime juice
2 teaspoon of sugar
1 – 2 teaspoon of Soy sauce
1 – 2 dl of water
- Peel tomatoes by cutting across at the bottom and cover it with water in a pan, heat it until it reaches boiling point and the cross has opened up. Pour cold water over the tomatoes and peel it.
- ut off the seeds and dice the tomatoes.
- Dice the shallots and set aside.
- Measure seasoning and set aside.
- Roast 2,5 dl of freekeh in a pan. When you can sense the aroma (after 2 – 3 minutes) add the salt and toast for another minute. Pour in the concentrated broth and 5 dl of water, or just 5 dl of broth of your choice,
- Bring it to a boil and lower the heat and let it simmer for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Take it off from the heat, wrap the lid in a kitchen towel and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Melt some butter and oil in a frying pan, fry the shallots for a couple of minutes, add the pressed garlic and continue frying for another minute. Add the freekeh, seasoning, and the tomatoes and stir. Add the tomato paste and 1-2 dl of water, mix well. Let it all simmer for 10 minutes or until you achieve the consistency of your choice. Add sugar, soy sauce, lime or lemon juice. Taste and correct seasoning.
- Tip: use taco seasoning instead of the seasoning above, wonderful Taco meal
Use taco seasoning instead of the seasoning mentioned above,
Have diced red, green, yellow peppers, beans and a little sambal oelek (chili paste) and you will get a lovely chili stew.
Have less water and use it as a filling for pies.
Serve with spaghetti or rice.
Very versatile and comforting dish.