When our children were younger, like their mother, they were just “picky” with their food. With ”picky” children you have to become creative in the kitchen, it is that simple. Had and still always have ready to go meat sauce in the freezer, usually, I cook it with turkey meat but you can use the meat of your choice, the procedure is the same.
I use the basic meat sauce for Lasagna to Chili Con Carne etc. It’s really a versatile meat sauce! The texture is quite thick, I mix in some water or stock when I want to serve it with spaghetti or use it as it is for moussaka. An ingredient that I always use in minced meat is cinnamon, it is not much but it certainly contributes to the wonderful taste. In addition, the meat sauce also contains finely grated root celery, carrots, and parsnip,
It is worth repeating that it is mise a place that applies which means that you prepare all the ingredients before you start cooking.
1 kg of minced meat, turkey, chicken or the minced meat that you prefer
1 – 2 yellow onion
100 grams of finely grated parsnip
100 grams of finely grated celeriac
100 grams of finely grated carrots
5 – 6 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons of salt
2 – 3 bay leaf
2 ml (1/4 of a teaspoon) black pepper
2 teaspoons red pepper
1 ml (1/4 of a teaspoon) cinnamon
1 teaspoon turmeric
A Bullion of your choice, here I use beef.
2 cartons of crushed tomatoes of 500 grams (total 1 kilo)
1 dl of tomato paste
A few drops of lemon juice
- Wash and peel vegetables and onions.
- Dice the onion.
- Grate celeriac, carrots and parsnip, mix.
- Press or chop the garlic finely.
- Measure all spices
- Melt a little butter and oil in a large pan.
- Pour in the chopped onion and fry it for 5-6 minutes until it is translucent.
- After 5 – 6 minutes, add the pressed or very finely chopped garlic and continue frying for another minute.
- Add the meat and fry until all the meat has a “color”. Work with two forks to divide the minced meat.
- Add the grated vegetables gradually and mix well.
- Add the seasoning mix, a few drops of lemon juice, and the bullion of your choice. Add crushed tomatoes and mix well.
- Finally, add the rosemary and thyme stalks together with bay leaf.
- Bring it to a boil, lower the heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the tomato paste and mix well. Allow simmering for another 30 minutes.
- Take the lid off and remove the bay leaf, rosemary and thyme stalks.
- Finally, taste and adjust the seasoning to suit you and your family.
Now you can either enjoy it directly or freeze for later.