t was a while since I blogged. Have been on holiday in Santa Cruz (California) and got lots of inspiration. But first, I want to share a recipe for Riccota Cheese that my niece taught me.
We were supposed to have ricotta cheese for a dish and she said that she would do it herself, – I was a little skeptical but sometimes it pays off to be patient. As you will notice it was really easy! Ricotta cheese is not cheap it is really worth to make it yourself. We made the cheese of 3 gallons (3.78 liters), bear in mind that the amount of cheese will be about 1/3 of the milk.
1 US gallon of milk equivalent to 1,25 liter
6 tablespoons of lemon juice
A pinch of salt
- Pour the milk into a spacious pan.
- Whisk the milk constantly and measure the temperature – it must reach 93 degrees Celsius or 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Keep the temperature for 3 minutes.
- Take it off from the stove.
- Give it a stir, pour over the salt and lemon juice. Mix well and let it set for 10 – 20 minutes.
- Strain it after 10 – 20 minutes and leave it for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- You can also take up the kitchen towel and squeeze as much liquid as you desire, it all depends on how dry you want your cheese to be.
- Wonderful cheese that you can season as you like.