Bought “Christmas cookbook” 1977 on sale, it cost 5 Swedish kronor (50 cents). It’s really the best cookbook I’ve come across where all the classic dishes for Christmas are included. I use it every fall when I start preparing for Christmas. Found a small red cabbage that was just perfect to make my Christmas red cabbage with. Amazingly easy to make and a “must have” dish on our Swedish Christmas table. You can serve it with ham or turkey.
3/4 – 1 kg red cabbage
1 red onion
2 tablespoons of butter or oil
1 dl raisin
3 – 4 allspice
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons of sugar
1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice
1 dl blackcurrant juice (undiluted)
- Shred onion and cabbage, peel and cut apples in small pieces, measure the seasoning.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a spacious pan.
- Add the onion and fry for a couple of minutes until soft.
- Add the cabbage and mix well.
- Add the apple and mix well.
- Put the cloves and allspice in a small strainer and add it to the pan.
- Cover the strainer with cabbage and apples,- put the lid on and let simmer for one hour.
- After one hour, add salt, sugar, and raisins, mix well.
- Put the lid on and let simmer for additional 10 – 15 minutes.
- Pack it in the appropriate package. Store in the freezer until you need to use it.