I still remember when I visited my brother in the United States first time in the early 70’s. He made Sunday breakfast with hash browns, I still recall the wonderful taste of that hash brown! Since then, I’ve been experimenting in order to make the perfect hash browns.
Now, finally, I have found the perfect recipe, very simple indeed. Really crunchy and delicious. Unbeatable Sunday breakfast combined with crispy bacon and poached eggs. Looking for the background I found evidence that hash browns were served in finer hotels in the late 1800s in New York, USA. You can make it with raw potatoes or already cooked potatoes. I prefer to make it with raw potatoes because in my point of view you achieve more crunchiness!
One medium-sized potato per person
Salt, pepper, thyme or whatever you prefer for spices
Butter or oil for frying
- Peel and grate the potato on the roughest side of the grater. Put it on a kitchen towel or kitchen paper and “pat” it as dry as possible.
- Pour it in a bowl and season with salt, pepper, thyme or the seasoning of your choice.
- Heat a pan with butter or oil. Pour the spiced grated potatoes into the pan and shape it as thinly as possible.
- Cook it on high heat for a minute. Turn it over.
- Put on a lid and let it fry on medium heat for a minute.
- Remove the lid and fry until you get a crisp surface.
Serve with crispy bacon and a poached egg.