I really like the American Mac & Cheese, but I consider it to be an autumn and/or winter food, but today there is a barbecue ban all over Sweden because of the risk for fire – so we are not even allowed to barbecue in our own garden. Therefore, one has to simply prepare other dishes! Today I combined two dishes, the Swedish (Makaronipudding) and Mac & Cheese. The result was incredibly successful!
I use two kinds of cheese but you are free to use other kinds of cheese if you wish. You have to be more cautious with salt If you use a little stronger cheese. This gives you 3 large portions or 4 portions depending on the size of your portions. It takes 45 min in the oven, but the preparation does not take so long.
160 grams of leek
300 grams of macaroni
300 grams of bacon
1.5 dl cream
1.5 dl of milk
0.5 teaspoon salt
2 dl riven Parmigiano Reggiano
2 dl chopped cheddar
1 – 2 ml concentrated stock (optional)
1 tablespoon salt to cook the macaroons in
3 ml black pepper
- Wash and cut a slice through the leek. Cut it in thin slices. Set aside.
- Cut the bacon in thin slices and set aside.
- Mix milk, cream, egg and 0.5 teaspoon salt. Mix properly.
- Lubricate a 1.5-liter mold or use silicon paper in the mold.
- Stir leek quickly into a frying pan. Set aside.
- Fry the bacon (crispy) and let it drain on paper towel.
- Cook the macaroni according to the manufacturer’s instructions, Drain it.
- Pour the macaroni into the saucepan, mix in leek, bacon and Parmigiano Reggiano and half of the cheddar cheese.
- Pour the macaroni mixture into a 1.5-liter form. Press it down gently.
- Pour over milk, egg and cream mixture.
- Pour the rest of the cheddar cheese on top.
- Have it in 175-degree (Celsius) heat for 35 minutes. Raise the heat for the last 10 minutes to 200-degree (Celsius) so that the surface becomes crispy.
Serve with melted butter.